Friday, February 15, 2008

Why Blog?

Half way across the Presidential Range 4/1/07

Well....Why Not!


I admit I have been thinking about doing this for a long time but, I was really never motivated to follow through with doing it. Then I found
Tom and Atticus's Blog.
That was the crimper, I mean clincher! I do like to write and when I found Tom's blog, I was convinced I would give it a try. I hope you tune in and find something interesting about my blog! What is a crimper you ask? A famous quote from a climber friend of mine....When asked "What is a crimper?" His response was..."Something you pull out of your nose!". I think the person who asked him that was completely floored by Ro's response. I guess you had to be there!

So back to Tom and Atticus! They are on quite the quest to climb all 48 New Hampshire 4000 footers TWICE! Yes, Twice this winter! All to benefit,
Angell Animal Medical Center in Boston, Massachusetts. When I found his blog, I immediately felt connected. Steph and I took our beloved Gus to Angell when he was battling Heart Disease. I contacted Tom about dedicating one of his peaks to Gus and he so graciously accepted
. A donation for their efforts is in the mail! Atticus looks like such a cool dog!

There is a reason I chose Mt. Eisenhower for Gus.
I did a Presidential Traverse last spring with a friend of mine Peter Roux (RIP) in preparation for Mt. Rainier last June. We had an amazing stretch of weather! It was a bit cold, but sunny both days. After summiting all the peaks on the Northern section up to Sphinx Col Saturday, We planned to camp around the Sphinx Trail junction just down off the ridge. Anyway, we got to Eisenhower around 4:00 in the afternoon on the Sunday and hung out for a bit snapping photos, snacking, etc. All of a sudden, four birds (what quickly looked like Canadian geese) cam flying by, in paceline formation, riding the winds so gracefully at about 200 feet above us and a bit south. It ends up that they were Loons making their Journey north, rather than the traditional “honk” the CG would have made, it was an eerie, traditional, yet somewhat muted loon call. It is/was one of the most amazing displays of nature I have ever seen on a mountain summit. So when I saw it was open, I thought about that trip with Pete and that very experience and Gus, it just made sense! We hit all 8 Peaks on this trip and I finally summited Mt. Clay.

I am hoping to climb Mt. Washington tomorrow 2/16/08. I'll get into the reasons why when I post my trip details but, I am headed for the summit via the Lion Head Winter Route, solo.
It's been since April 1st 2007 (see the photo at the top of this post) since I was there and the Mountain is calling me!

One final note, say a prayer for my great friend Paul Roy today. He is having open heart surgery to replace his aortic valve. I hope he recovers well and has minimal discomfort.
We need him around for many years to come.
Paul Roy; The Great Teacher!


Sparky over and out!

2 comments:

J Cooley said...

Hi Sparky,

It's great to read your blog. As a loon biologist I'm excited to hear about your sighting of loons overhead on Mt Eisenhower in April 2007. Is it ok to link to this blog entry from our upcoming newsletter?

Thanks,

John Cooley Jr
Biologist
Loon Preservation Committee

Steve said...

Hi John,

Thanks for the comment and reading my blog. Would you think based on my description that they could have been Loons that I saw? It was quite amazing to see them at such an elevation, but maybe that is not uncommon? I would be grateful if you think your readers would be interested in reading my blog.

Please email me at sparkysride AT gmail DOT com if I can provide more info on my sighting. It was a while ago, but something I'll never forget.

Cheers,
Steve