Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Ouch!

So far this year my road bike miles have been minimal at best. Tonight I thought I would self inflict some pain upon myself by going on my first group road ride with the Wednesday night Euro Auto crew. This is the same shop where we have our cars serviced. Steph and I started riding with them back in 2001 and back then, there were about 6 of us pretty consistently. Doug and Kevin from the shop and then myself and or Steph and other friends/customers of Doug's. It was always a blast back then with the core riders. Progressively over a couple years time we got faster and faster usually ending up with a 19/20 mph average. Now the hammerheads are going 21/23 mph right from the start, and the group has grown to about 15 riders. I stayed at the front 5 or 6 for most of the ride to play it safe. I don't like being at the tail end of the group just in case there is a crash. I held up pretty well taking a few turns pulling at the front until about mile 20, then I dropped off hard and pedaled back to my car at the shop. I was probably only a few minutes behind the mid pack riders but, OUCH it hurt....in a good way! I am doing some product testing on the new VDO Z3-PC link computer. This thing is pretty cool! I get speed, cadence, Heart rate, and altitude data that I can download to my PC and analyze as I continue to ride this season. More than what I care to know personally but, for potential customers buying these...and people who NEED to know this stuff....be patient the computers will be shipping the first of June. Going back and looking at the data from this ride...My Heart rate was OFF the CHARTS!, about 175 bpm average, well above my target zone for 90% of the ride. My average speed for that 90% of the ride was about 22.5 and avg cadence was 86 rpm. Funny how you can ride along the coast and still get about 600ft of elevation gain from all the little hills and inclines along the way....I wanted to include a screen shot of the data but, I can't find a way to "save image as" and put it in this post....Until next time, thanks for reading!


No comments: