Thursday, February 4, 2010

Living the Dream

Life to the fullest? Absolutely!
For as long as I can remember, I've been adventuring outside into the wilderness. Fresh out of high school, I had to make some critical changes, or I could have headed out on the wrong path. It took a few years, and it was a lot of work, but I accomplished some goals and the mold started to build with a little more integrity.


I remember my first journey
up the hill, somewhat still a punk, dawning a cotton Metallica t-shirt, and work style boots (I might have had a windbreaker in the pack). My friend Roland and I headed up, with him even smoking a few Camels on the way. Well, fortunately the mountains accepted my application for study in life education, and what great things I have learned!

The photo above is from a recent ascent of the ice climb called East Face Slabs Right, on Mount Willard, in Crawford Notch, NH. I am at the most difficult section in this photo. How does one deal with such a challenge? Calmly and with fluidity! This was one of those special days, a cold day in January with the sun shining, the sky clear and bright blue. While many stood in lines for other climbs on this day, my friend Erik and I moved through on another climbing route below this one, quickly, while displaying good ethic and style. Arriving at the base of this pretty, blue, chunk of frozen water clinging to the side of a cliff, t
he hook was set and I was lured to the top. Some might loose their breath at the just the thought of putting themselves in such a situation, yet I accepted the challenge with open arms and took a breath of life as I anchored myself safely at the top. In trying to relate my point, adventure for me is life. The risk, the reward, the challenge, the failure, the success. I believe their is a certain strong similarity between the two.

I can currently be found dreaming through the eyes of my life and to the next adventure. There is one in there that could be quite special and I hope you'll stick aro
und to see all that may encompass what will be next.


No comments: