Tuesday, January 18, 2011

In Memory of a great friend 11/10/68 - 1/18/08

Pete Roux on the approach trail to Huntington Ravine, March 18, 2003

The objective dangers in the winter mountains are many, which are contrasted by their extraordinary beauty, and the rejuvenation and peacefulness they can bring us. These factors together create the challenges that give us the intense fulfillment as human beings and keep us coming back time and time again. We must be ever on the lookout for all the hazards we face while pursuing our mountain passions. The mountains will be here another day.
Written January 20th, 2008 by ~ Chris Joosen
USFS Snow Ranger on Mt. Washington

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew Pete way back in '98-ish working with him in Erie, PA. We hung out quite a bit and went to a Bills game among other things. I had been meaning to look him up on the internet for years and and just happened to this morning. I am so sad to hear of his passing in '08. He was a great guy who spoke so kindly about his good friends and Ann. I am sorry that you have lost your good friend. My husband & I chose the White Mountains as our honeymoon trip years ago after he had spoken so highly of the area. He was a wonderful guy - I send my best wishes to you and Ann.
Heidi(Jackson)Wiles

Steve said...

Thanks for the message, Heidi. I am sorry you're just finding out today about this. It's been a difficult road for many and will be for a long time. He was a great soul and I often think about all the great memories of the climbing we did. I sent your message to Ann also.

Be well
All the best,
Steve

Anonymous said...

Your November 2010 post is so bittersweet. I can't imagine the pain you have been through. I have picked up some Pete-isms along the way. I am also an accountant. Anytime he had a report or paper that was an old version, but wanted to keep it, he would draw a big "S" on it and put it in the file. I have no idea what the "S" stood for, or why he did it, but I to this day do the same thing. We used to laugh about the crazy paper colors IP would come up with. "Brown Stain" was our favorite. We always thought it should come on a roll.
Anyway, my thoughts are with you. If you don't mind, I may check your blog every once and a while to feel a little more connected.
Peace with you,
Heidi

Steve said...

Please check in as often as you like, you can even subscribe to the RSS feeds.

Brown stain? Should for sure come on a roll!

Any friend of Pete Roux's is a friend of mine. Cheers, Friend!

Steve

Steve said...

Heidi,

I would be happy to put you in touch with Ann. Please email me at sparkysride AT gmail DOT com.