Wednesday, January 18, 2012

In memory of a once in a lifetime friend ~ November 10, 1968 - January 18, 2008

Old School shot - 12/22/91 -
Young a free spirited on the summit of Mount Moosilauke.
Left - Roland Fortin, Center - Me, Right - Pete Roux.
Four years ago today, January 18, 2008, sometime after 2:35 PM, our great friend, Pete Roux, was avalanched out of Odell gully on Mount Washington. The first ice gully he'd ever climbed on the mountain tragically was his last. I can't help but run through the conversation I had with him the night before his climb, the story told in the photos he took on his journey to a higher place and the sad events that one deals with after such a great loss.

Taking time today to reflect on many great endeavors with friends. While flipping through quite literally thousands of photos, I was reminded of all the young and free spirited adventures I have had the opportunity to be a part of. 

To the core group of homies, Erik, Luke, Tommy and Roland. Peace my Brothers, life may have us miles apart, but you are always never far from thought.

3 comments:

Ann Gagne said...

It seems like just yesterday when I received that horrible call. I have so many great memories of him always smiling, living life to the fullest. He is in my thoughts today and always. Peace Steve, my friend.

Steve said...

Peace, Ann.

Paul Cyr said...

Thinking of you in this time of sadness.

Paul